Sunday, November 11, 2007

Myers-Briggs in action

Today I lost my cell phone. I was waiting for a bus with Dr. Todd, who left today, and it must have fallen out of my loose cargo pocket.

But I wasn't really shaken up. I know I lost my numbers, but I can get them again. The phone only cost $75 and I already used it all year. It just wasn't a big deal. I've seen others get all bent out of shape upon losing their phones or get them stolen, but I was over it in 10 minutes.

I started thinking about this in the context of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator test (wikipedia), which I took at training in October. The test categorizes people based on four categories. My type was INTP, introverted, intuition, thinking, perceiving. Without getting too much into the test, let's focus on the last category.

Each person either favors Judging or Perceiving. At first it's probably easier to understand if you consider judging the same as organized and perceiving the same as disorganized. So I'm disorganized. Naturally this has some downsides. The stack of papers on my desk is an issue...

But it also has advantages. One is being more able to deal with change and be flexible. Surprises can be positive, as opposed to negative.

And while losing the phone was definitely negative, I quickly adapted, and life goes on.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vanessa said...

:)

12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home