Tuesday, September 04, 2007

In defense of Leandrinho

So I'm reading an article on Leandro Barbosa, in which he's quoted in his broken English, and a commenter pisses me off:
million dollar body, 10 cent brain.
Seriously, screw you, ignorant commenter. Leandro Barbosa didn't speak a word of English when he came to the NBA. Even now, he's still learning. He's not stupid, he's just not speaking his native language. Let's hear you speak Portuguese, although I'll bet you thought they speak Spanish in Brazil. You're probably the type of person that walks up to Eriberto's and says "dos tacos" and thinks he's speaking Spanish. Kiss my ass.

What pisses me off is that this is a common response. When a Mexican doesn't speak fluently, so many people associate that as being dumb. This is so wrong and detrimental. Unfortunately, this viewpoint is everywhere in the world...when I have more time I'll explain my own frustrations with people giving condescending directions and hand signals to me because my Portuguese has an accent.

Rock on Leandrinho. (random note: if he were a soccer player they would call him LeandrĂ£o, but that's a story for another day)

Addendum: another commenter backs me up
Barbosa isn't dumb, people. He speaks a different language and does far better with English than most of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home