Saturday, September 15, 2007

Business School

Why B school may be losing its appeal.
Headhunters for hedge funds and private equity firms say hedge funds, in
particular, do not value an M.B.A. β€œI have some clients that will legitimately
say, β€˜An M.B.A. means absolutely nothing to us,’ ” says Tim Zack, principal of
In-Site Search, a headhunting firm in Westport, Conn., that is a division of
Chaves and Associates.
Someone who used to work for my future employer told me I would learn more, a lot more, in my first 6 months at my future employer than by getting an MBA.


5 Comments:

Anonymous Matt Stone said...

But why? Are business schools simply behind the curve in teaching the skills that specific industries want (ie, hedge funds might be more interested in math or finance students, rather than business students per se)? If that was the case, there should still be other industries that find an MBA to be useful (ie, corporate boardrooms across multiple industries). I definitely agree with the assertion that you'll learn more in six months at McKinsey than getting an MBA.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

haha, way to go stone. pretty sure ryan used "future employer" on purpose.

3:32 PM  
Blogger P said...

@vanessa: lol, I agree.

@stone, ryan: As far as I know an MBA is only worth it if you have at least 3-5 years of managements experience before taking the MBA.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

To me it seems like this article is saying hedge funds value math skills more than "traditional" business skills. I'm curious to see how MBAs adapt in general, though despite their shortcomings they are more popular than ever.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Pedro, why do you benefit from having more management experience before. Isn't an MBA designed to teach you more about management?

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home