Friday, April 27, 2007

Movie Premier

(I'll have a photo here later)

Apparently someone at the Fulbright has connections with someone in the movie premier industry, because we've already been invited to two. The first was the Brazilian premier of 300, which included the director there in person. It was sponsored by the US Embassy. I actually didn't make it, but I did see 300 this week in Buenos Aires. It is probably the most gory movie I've ever seen. I didn't mind it, but apparently a group of people wanted to walk out but didn't just because the director was there.

Alas this time it was a more appropriate movie, Cafundo. I have never tried reviewing a movie before, and I'm not going to here, but the spectacle was just as interesting. It was held in a theater in the center of town called Cine Odeon. I showed up an hour early just for fun. Yes they had a red carpet. At that time there wasn't a line so I just walked up and the lady with the list stared at me. She must have thought I was a confused tourist or something. I told her my name, and she was like "oh you're on the list?". So I was in. There were a bunch of photographers and movie cameras interviewing the director, the producer, and the main actor mostly, but also others involved. This went on for quite awhile. Me being the curious gringo, I stood right by the cameramen and watched. It's amazing what a big difference a) lighting, and b) where the interviewee looks can make on the intangibles of the shot.

This went on for awhile, including the awkward part where the second main actor showed up with a girl more than twice his size (horizontally). This elicited a few snickers, and I felt bad for the girl.

The next awkward part was when the band started playing. Part of the movie includes a band, and this was supposed to represent that. The awkward part was when one of the photographers asked the director to go stand with the band while they played, and so he kept pretending to read the music and hum along, all while smiling. He clearly was not enjoying it, but they asked him to sustain it for like 5 minutes while they took pictures.

Before the movie started, the director introduced everyone, and then made a speech. The movie started. A few more awkward parts:

a) how awkward must it be for the actress that gets naked to be sitting in the theater during that part. Everyone turned to look at her.

b) same for the main actor (though you didn't actually see anything)

c) I really really wish there were English subtitles. Even the most fluent Fulbrighters were having trouble. We often found ourself confused - the movie had abstract plot elements, and lots of symbolism and such.

Right before it ended the band marched through the theater, and then a chorus was singing as the movie got out.

Every cineplex should have the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home